11/02/2005

Congregational question: How can all the people for the last few thousand years “fit” in heaven?

This question assumes that there is a limited amount of space in heaven. We live in a three dimensional world that is limited by both time and space. Science tells us that there may be as many as eleven dimensions. Looking at heaven through our three dimensional mindset gives us an image of heaven as a place, and in our mind, a place has a finite amount of space. For me, heaven is not a place in which I extend my three dimensional existence through never ending time, but rather an existence that is not bound by either time or place. Jesus never tells us directly what heaven is like. He used metaphors to describe aspects of heaven: the kingdom of heaven is like a loaf of bread when the yeast is working, the kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that grows into a large plant, the kingdom of heaven is like a farmer who finds thistles in with the wheat, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that catches all kinds of fish (Matthew 13). These images conjure up the feelings of growth, expanse, good and bad together, all inclusiveness, not a finite or limited existence. A friend of mine while nearing the last few hours of his life once asked me what heaven was going to be like. I told him that I didn’t know. All I knew was that of all the attempts to describe heaven in ways we could understand, these descriptions portrayed a place of love and beauty beyond our imagination. After all these years, I still stick to that description.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey "Pastor Dan", just found your site on a search for love spells. Read a few posts, so thought I'd say hi and thanks! :)

Me. -- "I tried these love and money spells and got my boyfriend back!"

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me