6/01/2015

I’m so bad

Friday June 12th, Mark 3: 24 A kingdom that is divided cannot continue, 25 and a family that is divided cannot continue. 26 And if Satan is against himself and fights against his own people, he cannot continue; that is the end of Satan. 27 No one can enter a strong person's house and steal his things unless he first ties up the strong person. Then he can steal things from the house. 28 I tell you the truth, all sins that people do and all the things people say against God can be forgiven. 29 But anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of a sin that continues forever." Some studies show that our current political climate is one of the most divided in the history of the US.  I would consider this an indication that we are all bound up by this Satan dude.  One of the ways we know we are bound up is to believe that we are right and everyone else is wrong.  In our self-righteousness our god of self can get us to believe that there is nothing major for which we need be forgiven.  Oh we do need to be forgiven, but they are for the little things of little matter, a cuss word here or there or an evil thought that creeps in, but these are all just ploys to help us feel good in the midst of our slime.  The other extreme, the “I am so bad that God cannot forgive me” thoughts are similar.  In the “I’m so bad” thoughts, what we are really saying is that my bad is stronger than God’s grace.  I am better than God.  In the “I am right” side what we are really saying is that my rightness is better than God’s grace because I would not let all “those people” in.  In either case we are claiming our own goodness over the goodness of God’s grace.  In either case it is a sin against the Holy Spirit because our little goodness closed our ears to the grace that comes to us through the Holy Spirit.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me