5/25/2015

beauty and wonder

Monday June 1st, Isaiah 6: Then one of the angel-seraphs flew to me. He held a live coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. He touched my mouth with the coal and said, "Look. This coal has touched your lips. Gone your guilt, your sins wiped out." And then I heard the voice of the Master: "Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?" I spoke up, “I'll go. Send me!" Strange figures with six wings flying around, hot coals touching your lips, sometimes fantasy is the only way to describe that which is holy, because sometimes that which is holy is beyond description.  Some may take offense at calling it fantasy and may want to call it real, actual, factual, you are free to do so if it works for you.  But for me that only serves to distract from the wonder.  If I can truly grasp and understand the mysteries of God, they are no longer mysteries.  And if I can claim that I can grasp these mysteries and you cannot, then it is simply ego which is another kind of fantasy all together.  Fundamentalism as a way to look at scripture only tries to strip the wonder from religion and replace it with scientific certainty, all while doing a nice little dance to reject science.  I prefer to be awed by the wonder, the story, the myth, the beauty and the poetry of God.  Be awed by God and enjoy the majesty of the Creator who came into the world to bring beauty and life, real life, to the likes of you and me.  If it sounds like fantasy to you, then perhaps you are open to seeing the beauty and wonder too.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me