2/10/2014

them is us

Tuesday February 18th, 1 Corinthians 3:  1My friends, you are acting like the people of this world. That's why I could not speak to you as spiritual people. You are like babies as far as your faith in Christ is concerned. 2So I had to treat you like babies and feed you milk. You could not take solid food, and you still cannot, 3because you are not yet spiritual. You are jealous and argue with each other. This proves that you are not spiritual and that you are acting like the people of this world.  Not a common text for preachers in the US.  Especially not a common text for preachers in Suburbia US, where I am serving.  It is important to read the rest of the text to see what infantile behavior is being referred to.  Low and behold it is played out quite well in the US house and Senate.  But look just a bit further and we have a Pogo moment; we have met the enemy and he is us.  It has become common place to blame our congress for their infantile behavior.  It is all part of the FOX news and Reaganest plan to paint government as a “them” instead of an extension of us.   As a representative government, remember that any criticism of government, is by extension a criticism of you and I, the us of the world.  Perhaps if you do not like the infantile behavior of Congress, the ones who need to become a bit more adult are you and I, the ones who elected them in the first place.  Government is not a “them,” if it were perhaps it would behave a bit more mature.  Alas, it is merely an extension of us…  and we have met the enemy.  I read that here in Alaska the Koch Brothers are pumping lots of money into the elections.  I assume that as businessmen, it is because in the long run they will see the benefits of doing so.  What I find interesting is how that money equates to votes.  Just how easily can we be bought off?  What is the going price for your integrity today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me