10/21/2013

holiness

Sunday October 27th, Sirach 35: 12-13  Give to the Most High as he has given to you, and as generously as you can afford.  For the Lord is the one who repays, and he will repay you sevenfold.  We live in a world where many of our actions are governed by the “what’s in it for me” philosophy.  The movements are filled with tax caps, no new taxes and the like which in the end are all giveaways to the rich at the expense of everyone else.  But what if we gave as the Lord has given to us?  What have you received from God?  We need only look to Luther’s explanation of the first article of the Apostles Creed which we say every Sunday.  I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth, and What does this mean?  I believe that God has created me and all that exists. God has given me and still preserves my body and soul with all their powers. God provides me with food and clothing, home and family, daily work, and all I need from day to day. God also protects me in time of danger and guards me from every evil. All this God does out of fatherly and divine goodness and mercy, though I do not deserve it. Therefore I surely ought to thank and praise, serve and obey God. This is most certainly true.  If your motivation is self-interest, you can get no more self-interest than being repaid seven-fold.  In Hebrew numerology seven equals holiness.  What you receive in return is your life made Holy.  Could you ask for anything more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me