5/05/2014

selfish

Tuesday May 13th, 1 Peter 2: 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. Suffering is not high on the list for most people, even Midwestern Lutherans.  The idea that those who suffer somehow deserve it has even made it into the mainstream of political discussions and decisions.  I pulled myself up by my bootstraps is bantered about with pride.  The part that is not heard is the reality that the successful bootstrap pulling came with the help of community while the “why can’t ‘those people’ pull themselves up by their bootstraps” often comes without the help of community?  You might not hear it much in most praise music, but in the hymns of old there was an understanding that for the good of the community, for the good of the body of Christ, a bit of suffering is often what we are called to do.  There is plenty in this world for everyone’s needs, but not everyone’s greed.  And greed is not relegated alone to CEO’s multi-million plus severance packages, you and I and even those whose existence is just scraping by can manage a bit of selfish greed all on our own.  I may find the magnitude of those severance packages sinful and obscene beyond words, but then I have to admit that I can do something about my own greed, and haven’t managed to get around to it yet.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me