4/12/2012

Fear that blinds

As I read my father's posts on the disciples living in fear following his death, I am reminded again of how living in fear can keep us from fully experiencing God's love. When I was a freshman in college I chose to get a tattoo. I found a good place and went to check it out. As I am standing in the store looking at the choices, the owner of the place walks in. He was without doubt the scariest looking person I have ever seen. 6'6'' covered in tattoos, and judging from his beard a fan of "ZZ Top". He was the perfect representation of the kind of person you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. Six weeks later I went back to get my tattoo, this time I had a guest my Aunt. My Aunt Sandy was a chaplain, and had always wanted to see someone get a tattoo, so she wanted to come along. As he was giving me my tattoo, this intimidating man and my Aunt begin to talk. When he found out what she did he lit up. He told her how he had two children and had been wanting to get them baptized. While I was afraid, I could not see the love of Christ in this man's heart. Fear blinds us, and makes us hide, hide from the gift of God that challenges us, hide from the responsibility we have to share that gift with all we meet. Don't let fear blind you, come out from hiding and see the glory of a grace filled world.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me