5/21/2008

Grace as indulgence

Tuesday June 24th, Romans 6: 1-3 So what do we do? Keep on sinning so God can keep on forgiving? I should hope not! If we've left the country where sin is sovereign, how can we still live in our old house there? Or didn't you realize we packed up and left there for good? That is what happened in baptism. When we went under the water, we left the old country of sin behind; when we came up out of the water, we entered into the new country of grace—a new life in a new land! This saved by grace thing, it is just like an indulgence isn’t it? Sort of a get out of Jail free card? At least that is the way we want to see it. The tendency is to keep our focus on the self. Either “I” is so bad that no one can forgive me. Or, “I” am so bad that I don’t need God. Or, “I” am so important that “I” must earn my way to heaven rather than trust God. Or, I am saved by grace so “I” get to do whatever “I” want. As Lutheran we tend to fall into the last trap. I am saved so I get to go on sinning as if nothing in the history of the world has changed that. God calls us first of all to face the reality of our sin so that in recognizing the reality of God’s grace we can live the reality of changed lives. Grace is not just a new indulgence and it is not always about the “I”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me