6/04/2007

Trust

Monday June 11th, 1 Kings 17: 13 Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land. We have as a nation learned not to trust, and for good reason. When I grew up, my parents and I were going somewhere one day and for some reason that has since slipped from my memory, we decided to lock the house. Try as we might, no one could where the key was, or if we even had one. Car keys were never hard to find, they were in the ignition. Even after my parents retired and moved to town, the house was never locked. That kind of trust is born out of knowing relationships. It is those same relationships that caused the Lutheran church service to start late one Sunday, my father was not in church, and most of the people were outside wondering if they should go look for him before church started (and no, he was not a minister) all were relieved when he came walking down the hill from the Catholic Church where he had been for the pancake breakfast. Somehow, I think God is calling us to try to build those kind of trusting, and intimately relational communities where we live and within our churches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me