6/02/2005

Lotta, lottta love man

Friday June 10th: There are three things that will endure--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love. Faith is something we can conger up for ourselves. Hope is something we can conger up for ourselves. Loves focus is on the other. Love requires community. Many who claim the gift of the Spirit feel they need to manifest that gift by speaking on tongues. I just don’t see where the love is in that. I just don’t see how that points others to God. It does let one stand up front and get noticed. It may in some situations even be a gift of the spirit that leads one to God, but it is kind of shaky. I’m with Paul, of all the ways the gifts of the spirit can manifest itself, if it is without love, it’s probably just showing off. Remember the tree in the garden?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe speaking in tongues is God's language of love. We have a loving relationship with God. Maybe those who speak in tongues are furthering that relationship through spiritual communication. I don't really know because I don't know how to speak in tongues, and don't understand what people are saying when they use it. They could be cursing me out for all I know. When I listened to Turning Point members speak in tongues, to me it sounded like vocalizations of emotion (kind of like we make the sound of laughter when happy, the growl of anger or the whine of apprehension.) Maybe Pastor Odom could provide us with some insights on this topic. By the way, was that supposed to be "conjure" or are you blogging in tongues?

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me