6/30/2014

"W"e

Wednesday July 9th, Romans 7:  25 The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different. A change in western theology from the early 1800’s that has worked its way into American civil religion can be defined as a movement from God and us, to God and I.  Rapture theology being latest and most sadistic version of that perversion.  For students of culture, one wonders if theological changes reflect our political changes, or if our political changes reflect our theological changes.  I think that perhaps they go hand in hand, each one slowly influencing the other.  When the young man asked the question of Jesus, “what must ‘I’ do to be saved, Jesus told him the story we call the Good Samaritan, pointing him to a “we” view of life.  It is in the “we” that the “I” begins to see Christ in the world.  It is in seeing “love God and love others” as one commandment, that the “I” begins to melt into the “we.”  That is when we finally drop our shields and see the salvation of Christ that has been there all along.  Our task as the church is to help others move the world view from “M”e to “W”e.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me