1/20/2014

compassion please

Tuesday January 28th, 1 Corinthians:  10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."  13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?  The church in Corinth was in the midst of deadly game of one-upsmenship.  Deadly because it divided the kingdom on earth; Deadly because that deadly game is always about the self and not about God; Deadly because self-games always lead to death. When people and churches turn their attention upon themselves instead of God, there is trouble ahead. When people and churches, synagogues and mosques turn their attention to the kingdom of God, differences in doctrine, faith statements, natures and names for God are more about flavor than about division.  Someday the faith communities of the world will learn that.  Until then, there is conflict.  For a bit of light in the midst of all the heat, go to www.charterforcompassion.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me