7/19/2010

Opening Litany based on Luke 11

Pastor: "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

Congregation: We could very easily respond, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.'
 
Pastor: I tell you, though you might not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet if he becomes obnoxious and keeps knocking on the door, ringing the door bell and honking the horn you will most likely get up and give him as much as he needs.

Congregation: We hear the word of the Lord when the Lord tells us to “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. 

Pastor: "Which of you parents, if your child asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?

Congregation: Not I

Pastor: Or if they ask for an egg, will give them a scorpion?

Congregation: Not I

Pastor: If you then, though you don’t always get things right, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Congregation: We thank and praise the Lord who may not always give us what we want, but always provides for our needs. 

Note: I will be preaching on the story of hospitality and blessing in Genesis 18 & 19 and therefore used the first part of the gospel for the day as the opening litany with the remaining section which includes the basis of the Lord's Prayer in the communion litany.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me