2/01/2010

Oh, all right....

Friday February 12th, Luke 5 : 4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." 5 Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets." The scriptures don’t indicate it, but I would love to see the expression on Simon Peter’s face. Old fishermen often think they have the edge, the knowledge, the secret that makes them a better fisherman than most. All you have to do is ask and you will get an earful of try this bait, in this way, in this place at this time etc that is a certain guarantee for the big one. I imagine when Jesus gave fishing advice you could see some rolled eyes, some slight shaking of the head, and a deep sighing breath and then the exhausted reluctant turn toward the boat. I think it is similar to the look on my face when God asks me to do something I already have a bloody forehead over from beating my head against a brick wall. Sometimes we have to let go of the “me” in order for our nets to fill up. Sometimes it is less a matter of what we do than for whom we do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me