6/30/2008

Hospitality

Sunday July 6th, Genesis 24: 42 “So today when I came to the spring, I prayed this prayer: ‘O Lord, God of my master, Abraham, please give me success on this mission. 43 See, I am standing here beside this spring. This is my request. When a young woman comes to draw water, I will say to her, “Please give me a little drink of water from your jug.” 44 If she says, “Yes, have a drink, and I will draw water for your camels, too,” let her be the one you have selected to be the wife of my master’s son.’ When looking for a wife of the child of Abraham who would bring the hope and promise to the world that had been promised for so long, the servant was looking for someone with hospitality. Not just Miss Manners who knows the proper protocol. I dare say Miss Manners has never to my knowledge written about how to draw water for camels. But, someone who, down in their heart, is a kind and hospitable person. What a wonderful trait to look for when considering the mother of the people of promise. Is this a trait we instill in our children? In our society? In our church? I would hope so, though I fear it is not always the case. Being hospitable is a matter of welcoming the other and considering their contribution to your life as being worthwhile. It is to see the other as a brother or sister in Christ. And hardest of all, it is to accept the fact that once welcomed, things will never be the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me