3/03/2008

Dust and bones

Sunday March 9th, Ezekiel 37: 1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. 2 He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. 3 He asked me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" I said, "O Sovereign LORD, you alone know." 4 Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones and say to them, 'Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD! 5 This is what the Sovereign LORD says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. There are times when my ministry feels like a valley of dry bones, now is one of those times. To look around and feel utterly helpless, all you want to do is sit in the dust and weep at the frustration. Sometimes in the midst of that frustration there is a still small voice that says to prophesy that the dry bones come to life. It seems futile, and maybe it is, and maybe it isn’t. Prophesying alone is futile. Prophesying and praying with the family of God opens the door to hope. Pew research says that people are leaving the denominational churches, and my experience confirms that. Can the good solid theology of the denominational churches survive the draw to fun worship? Is it possible to have good theology and fun worship? I don’t have any answers right now, I am busy sitting in the dust, looking at the dry bones with tear in my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me