4/17/2007

Forgiven for fishing

Saturday April 27th, John 21: 15After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Master, you know I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." 16 He then asked a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" "Yes, Master, you know I love you." Jesus said, "Shepherd my sheep." 17-19 Then he said it a third time: "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was upset that he asked for the third time, "Do you love me?" so he answered, "Master, you know everything there is to know. You've got to know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. Peter denied Jesus three times before the rooster crowed. Jesus now forgives Peter three times. He calls him Simon, he has lost gumption of “The Rock.” The threefold forgiveness helps Simon get back in the fold. Perhaps the other disciples also needed to hear this threefold forgiveness for 1. being behind the locked doors, 2. being behind the locked doors again, and 3. finally getting out, but deciding to fishing instead. Forgiveness restored the community and sent them on their way. From here, it was off to an adventure that would change the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me