1/05/2006

This is my child

Saturday January 14th, Mark 1: 9At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." Think of these words every time someone is baptized. Imagine the heavens breaking open and the thunderous word, “This is my child whom I love and am well pleased.” Is it any different from the voice that created all that exist from the “formless and void”? What can God create in you today?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thoughts and words...question for you. If God tore open the heavens, then aren't they still open? I have a hard time closing something once I have torn it open.

Peace!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

On first reading it would be tempting to think in terms of a thunder strike where the air is forced apart and then comes crashing back together creating the sound of thunder. The Greek word here however indicates schism, which means that it is torn apart, never to be quite the same again. Perhaps that is a better description of Jesus coming into the world.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me