4/18/2005

It's about grace

Gospel Lesson - John 14:1-14 (New King James Version) (not the usual version I use, but it flows nice here)

Jesus Is the Way, the Truth, and the Life
1 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4And where I go you know, and the way you know."
5Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?"
6Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

When Jesus speaks of being the way and the truth and the life and no one gets to the father but through him, the first thing that comes to mind is that it is only though the name of Jesus or the right doctrine that we get to heaven. I believe that what Jesus was saying was grace. It is not through trying or minipulating or practicing exclusive religion or adhearing to all the rules as interpreted by me. It is by loving and forgiving, by opening your arms to the world poor and to the worlds rich and drawing them into a mutual understanding of community. It is by loving and accepting those who spend all thier time crying Lord, Lord as well as those who wouldn't be caught dead crying Lord, Lord. Instead of a statement of exclusivity, it is the ultimate statement of inclusivity beyond our wildest dreams. It is a statement of God's Grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me